Information regarding nominations for the 2015 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award will appear on this page in early 2015.
2014 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Recipients
Congratulations to our 2014 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Recipients:
Troy Varker and Mitchell Davies
David DeMarco, Jason Dasenbrock, and Wendy Pivonka
2014 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Finalists
Twelve finalists were decided from the field of 37 nominees. This year's finalists are:
- Acme Superstore, Longwood, Florida
- All Star Comics, Melbourne, Australia
- Alternate Reality Comics, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Beyond Comics, Frederick, Maryland
- Collector's Corner, Baltimore, Maryland
- Dragon's Lair, Austin, Texas
- Legend Comics & Coffee, Omaha, Nebraska
- OK Comics, Leeds, UK
- Packrat Comics, Hilliard, Ohio
- Silver Snail Comics & Cafe, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Time Warp Comics & Games, Boulder, Colorado
- Villainous Lair Comics & Gaming, San Diego, California
2014 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Nominees
Each year Comic-Con International honors retailers from around the globe with the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award, named after the visionary creator of The Spirit. When Will approached Comic-Con about initiating the award in the early 1990s, he wanted it as a way to acknowledge the important role that comics retailers play in the industry, nurturing the relationship between creators and their readers. The comic book retailer provides that vital link in getting the work from the creators and publishers to the public. Will recognized the importance of that link, and Comic-Con continues to recognize it over 20 years after Will’s original idea.
The Award is given out yearly to retailers who have done an outstanding job of supporting the comics medium both in the industry at large and in their local community. Comics fans around the world have the opportunity to nominate their favorite stores via the Comic-Con International website.
This year’s nominee list includes a record-setting 37 comic retail stores from across the United States, plus Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore. The finalists will be announced during the week of Comic-Con on our website, after the judges meet in San Diego. The recipient will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards on Friday, July 25, starting at 8:00 PM at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel.
This year’s nominees are:
Greensboro, NC • Mark Austin & Jermaine Exum
Longwood, FL • Terry Dinkins
Al n’ Ann’s Collectibles
McHenry, IL • John Alan Armstrong, Debbie Ann Armstrong
All Star Comics
Melbourne, Australia • Troy Varker and Mitchell Davies
Alternate Reality Comics
Las Vegas, NV • Ralph Mathieu
Aw Yeah Comics
Skokie, IL • Mark Hammond, Franco Aureliani, Art Baltazar
Frederick, MD • Jonathan Cohen
Baltimore, MD • Randy Myers
Comic Book Jones
Staten Island, NY • Mark Eadicicco & Michael Rivas
Manhattan Beach, CA • Jun Goeku and Mike Wellman
Seattle, WA • Scott & Lainie Tomlin
Double Midnight Comics & Collectibles
Manchester, NH • Chris Proulx, Scott Proulx and Brett Parker
Dragon’s Lair Comics & Fantasy
Austin, TX • David M Wheeler
Epikos Comics, Cards & Games
Ooltewah, TN • Henry Flood, David Flood, Joe Jackson, John McConahy
The Escapist Comic Bookstore
Berkeley, CA • Jack Rems
Plymouth, UK • Julian Shelford
G & B Comics
Singapore • Bernard Ang
Gardena, CA •Geoffrey Patterson
Chicago, IL • John Robinson and Jamie Graham
Ballarat, Australia • Garry and Pauline Fay
Ventura, CA • George Chase
Jesse James Comics
Glendale, AZ • Jesse James
Omaha, NE • Dean & Rashelle Phillips
Legend Comics & Coffee
Omaha, NE • David DeMarco, Jason Dasenbrock, Wendy Pivonka
Mile High Comics
Denver, CO • Chuck Rozanski
New Genesis Comics
Fort Collins, CO • Andrew Ricciardi
Leeds, UK • Jared Myland & Richard Makinson
Hilliard, OH • Jamie & Teresa Colegrove
Shield Comics & Games
Ames, IA • Chris Pellack
Silver Snail Comics & Café
Toronto, Ontario, Canada • George Zotti & Mark Gingras
Southern California Comics
San Diego, CA • Jamie Newbold
Space Cadets Collection Collection
Conroe, TX • Jen King
Third Coast Comics
Chicago, IL • Terry Gant
Time Warp Comics & Games
Boulder, CO • Wayne Winsett
Manchester, UK • Nabil Homsi
Villainous Lair Comics & Gaming
San Diego, CA • Alison Flynn
Taylor, MI • Robert Bowman & Dennis Barger
GUIDELINES for nomination include:
- Any retail store established in business for at least two years is eligible to be nominated.
- Anyone—retailers, professionals, fans—may place a name in nomination.
- A panel of industry judges selects a group of finalists to be subjected to an in-depth examination based on the award criteria. Recipient will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards at Comic-Con International on Friday, July 25, 2014.
- Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.
CRITERIA for judging include:
- Supporting a wide variety of innovative material.
- Providing opportunities for creators’ material to reach buyers; stocking a diverse inventory.
- Knowledge: Working to stay informed on retailing as well as on the comics field.
- Community activity: Promoting comics to the community; maintaining relationships with schools and libraries; keeping active in social, business, and arts community organizations.
- Quality of store image: Using innovative display approaches; using store design creatively.
- Adhering to standard ethical business practices.