Finalists Announced for the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award
The Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award finalists have been chosen by this year’s group of industry judges. This year’s judges are (left to right):
- Jerry Ordway—comic book artist (The Power of Shazam!, Adventures of Superman)
- Chris Powell—vice president of retailer services at Diamond Comic Distributors
- Jennifer Haines—owner, The Dragon (Guelph, Ontario), last year’s award recipient
- C.B. Cebulski—talent scout, Marvel
- Jesus Marugan—owner, Akira Comics (Madrid, Spain), last year’s award recipient
Jeffrey J. Mariotte—writer
The finalists for this year’s award are:
- All Star Comics, Melbourne, Australia
- Alternate Reality Comics, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Challengers Comics & Conversation, Chicago, Illinois
- Collectors Corner, Baltimore, Maryland
- Green Brain Comics, Dearborn, Michigan
- Heroes for Sale, Auckland, New Zealand,
- Legend Comics & Coffee, Omaha, Nebraska
The winner will be announced on Friday evening during the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards at the Indigo Ballroom in the Hilton San Diego Bayfront Hotel, starting at 8:00 PM. The Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award is produced under the auspices of Comic-Con International: San Diego and presented each year. Click here to see past recipients of this award.
Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Nominees for 2013
Each year Comic-Con International honors retailers from around the globe with the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award, named after the visionary creator of The Spirit. When Will approached Comic-Con about initiating the award in the early 1990s, he wanted it as a way to acknowledge the important role that comics retailers play in the industry, nurturing the relationship between creators and their readers. The comic book retailer provides that vital link in getting the work from the creators and publishers to the public. Will recognized the importance of that link, and Comic-Con continues to recognize it over 20 years after Will’s original idea.
The Award is given out yearly to retailers who have done an outstanding job of supporting the comics medium both in the industry at large and in their local community. Comics fans around the world have the opportunity to nominate their favorite stores via the Comic-Con International website.
This year’s nominee list includes 15 comic retail stores from across the United States, and in Australia and New Zealand. The nominees are:
- Acme Comics Greensboro, NC
- All Star Comics Melbourne, Australia
- All C’s Collectibles Aurora, CO
- Alternate Reality Comics Las Vegas, NV
- Challengers Comics and Conversation Chicago, IL
- Collector’s Corner Baltimore, MD
- Comic & Figure Addicts Union City, CA
- Comic Book Jones Staten Island, NY
- Drawn to Comics Glendale, AZ
- Green Brain Comics Dearborn, MI
- Heroes for Sale Auckland, New Zealand
- Legend Comics and Coffee Omaha, NE
- Limited Edition Comics Cedar Falls, IA
- Packrat Comics Hilliard, OH
- Wonderworld Comics Taylor, MI
2013 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award
The Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award, presented under the auspices of Comic-Con International: San Diego, is given to an individual retail store that has done an outstanding job of supporting the comic art medium both in the community and within the industry at large. Nominations for 2013 are now closed. The finalists for the award will be announced the week of Comic-Con International on this website; the recipient of the award will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards on Friday, July 19 during Comic-Con.
GUIDELINES for nomination include:
- Any retail store established in business for at least two years is eligible to be nominated.
- Anyone—retailers, professionals, fans—may place a name in nomination.
- A panel of industry judges selects a group of finalists to be subjected to an in-depth examination based on the award criteria. Recipient will be announced as part of the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards at Comic-Con International on Friday, July 19, 2013.
- Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.
CRITERIA for judging include:
- Supporting a wide variety of innovative material.
- Providing opportunities for creators’ material to reach buyers; stocking a diverse inventory.
- Knowledge: Working to stay informed on retailing as well as on the comics field.
- Community activity: Promoting comics to the community; maintaining relationships with schools and libraries; keeping active in social, business, and arts community organizations.
- Quality of store image: Using innovative display approaches; using store design creatively.
- Adhering to standard ethical business practices