#12: Cosplayers: Don’t Forget to Have Your Costume Weapon Checked!
Every morning in the 30 days leading up to WonderCon Anaheim 2014 (from March 19 to April 18), we’re going to offer our “Toucan Tip of the Day,” a tiny tidbit of terrific information that we hope add to your enjoyment of the show. To view all of our WCA 2014 Toucan Tips, please click on the “Tip of the Day” link under Categories at the top of our sidebar on the right; all published tips will appear, with the latest at the top.
Okay, cosplayers: you have the perfect costume and it has a weapon with it: a gun, a sword, a bazooka, a rocket launcher, a potato peeler … whatever. You have to have that weapon—no matter what it is—checked out and tagged by our Costume Weapons Desk people! Here’s what you need to know … and do:
No functional weapons are allowed at WonderCon Anaheim
Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to prior approval by security and compliance with the following:
- All costume weapons must be inspected at the Weapons Check Desk in Lobby B/C, outside of the Exhibit Hall.
- All costume weapons must conform to state and federal law.
- Projectile costume weapons must be rendered inoperable.
- Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can’t be drawn.
- After each person’s costume weapon has been checked, it will be tagged by security, and you will be given a wristband to wear to designate that your weapons have been checked.
Security will escort you to the security station for inspection if your costume weapon is not tagged.
If you do not want to have your costume weapons inspected or tagged, or if you are not willing to comply with these policies, please do not bring your costume weapons.