Nominations Open for Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award
Submissions Deadline is May 22, 2019
Comic-Con has announced that submissions are now being accepted for the 38th annual Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award. The award will be presented on July 19 during the Eisner Awards Ceremony at Comic-Con in San Diego.
Started in 1982 in conjunction with the West Coast Comics Club (which no longer exists), this award honors a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. The deadline for all submissions is May 22, 2019.
To qualify for the award:
1. The artist must be a newcomer to the comic field, with no professional work published prior to January 2017. Exceptions to this rule are:
- A. Work done as an unaccredited assistant to another artist
- B. Fan publications
- C. Any nonprofessional work done on the Internet
- D. Small press with a print run of 500 or less
- E. A one-shot in a new talent anthology comic
2. The artist’s work must have been published prior to submission.
3. A sample of the artist’s work must be included.
4. A sample of the artist’s pencil work should be submitted if it was inked by another artist.
5. If multiple names are credited to the work, what the artist contributed must be made clear.
6. If selected as a nominee, the artist (or publisher) should be prepared to provide 25 copies of the work to be sent to the judges.
7. Those who entered last year may enter again this year if they still meet the criteria.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of representatives from Comic-Con and the comics community, who will select the five finalists. The winner will be then selected by a blue ribbon panel of comics professionals, including prior Russ Manning Award winners and Russ Manning’s former assistants.
Submissions should include a submissions form (click here to download the PDF) and be sent to:
Russ Manning Award
PO Box 128458
San Diego, CA
(Note: For those using a shipping service other than the USPS, please inquire about the street address to send packages to.)
History of the Manning Award
The Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Award has been given out annually at the San Diego Comic-Con since 1982. It is presented to a comics artist who, early in his or her career, shows a superior knowledge and ability in the art of creating comics. It is named for Russ Manning, the artist best known for his work on the Tarzan and Star Wars newspaper strips and the Magnus, Robot Fighter comic book. Russ was a popular guest at the San Diego convention in the 1970s.
The first recipient of the award was former Manning assistant Dave Stevens, who went on to create The Rocketeer. Other past recipients have included Jan Duursema, Steve Rude, Scott McCloud, Art Adams, Eric Shanower, Dan Brereton, Jeff Smith, Gene Ha, Alexander Maleev, David Petersen, Cathy Malkasian, Eleanor Davis, and Tyler Crook (see below for a complete list).
Previous Award Recipients
- 2018 (TIE) Hamish Steele, Pablo Tunica
- 2017: Anne Szabla
- 2016: Dan Mora
- 2015: (TIE) Jorge Corona, Greg Smallwood
- 2014: Aaron Conley
- 2013: Russel Roehling
- 2012: Tyler Crook
- 2011: Nate Simpson
- 2010: Marian Churchland
- 2009: Eleanor Davis
- 2008: Cathy Malkasian
- 2007: David Petersen
- 2006: R. Kikuo Johnson
- 2005: Chris Bailey
- 2004: Eric Wight
- 2003: Jerome Opena
- 2002: Tan Eng Huat
- 2001: Goran Sudzuka
- 2000: Alan Bunce
- 1999: Jay Anceleto
- 1998: Matt Vander Pool
- 1997: Walt Holcomb
- 1996: Alexander Maleev
- 1995: Edvin Biukovic
- 1994: Gene Ha
- 1993: Jeff Smith
- 1992: Mike Okamoto
- 1991: Daerick Gross
- 1990: Dan Brereton
- 1989: Richard Piers Raynor
- 1988: Kevin Maguire
- 1987: Eric Shanower
- 1986: Art Adams
- 1985: Scott McCloud
- 1984: Steve Rude
- 1983: Jan Duursema
- 1982: Dave Stevens