Job Opportunities at Comic-Con
Comic-Con International has a mission of creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular artforms. Occasionally we need people to help us fulfill our mission. If you are interested in working for Comic-Con, please check back here from time to time to see if we have any job openings.
CURRENT JOB OPENINGS
Comic-Con International has one current job opening.
Temporary Programming Staff Member
San Diego Comic Convention is looking for a Temporary Programming Staff Member. The long term assignment will start in late February/early March 2019 until the end of August 2019. The programming department is responsible for putting together all aspects of the Convention’s pop culture panels featuring a wide variety of topics and diverse panelists, as well as specialty events, i.e. eSports. The selected individual will be involved in the office tasks and projects to get prepared for the Conventions, as well as onsite duties for both WonderCon and Comic-Con. WonderCon takes place at the end of March and Comic-Con is at the end of July. 2019 is our 50th Comic-Con Show.
In the office, tasks and projects could range from gathering and organizing supplies, to putting pertinent information on Excel spreadsheets, to doing website edits. We rely on over 60 volunteers during WonderCon and over 120 volunteers during Comic-Con, so tasks will include preparing materials for volunteers to use, knowing how they’re asked to use them, and knowing the guidelines they’re asked to follow when managing a panel room. There may also be special pop culture convention research projects given to this staff member by the Senior Director.
Working onsite at WonderCon is a training opportunity for the temporary staff member, This person will shadow one or more Programming team members to observe how they manage panel rooms, answer questions, respond to calls, handle giveaways and technical checks, and give room announcements (if needed). Once at Comic-Con, the staff member will be assigned specific panel/event venues to oversee at surrounding hotels and other offsite locations.
The skills and knowledge that a qualified candidate must have include:
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Google Applications, esp. Drive, Sheets, Docs, and Calendar
- Strong organizational skills (ability to prioritize tasks)
- Strong time management skills (deadline-driven)
- Strong oral and electronic communications skills
- Ability to balance working with a team and independently
- Strong customer-service skills
- Must have comics and pop culture knowledge
- eSports knowledge is a plus
The background and experience that the candidate must have include:
- Experience planning and executing events for an organization or client
- Experience leading a team of adults
- Experience collaborating with others to plan and execute an event
Other relevant people skills include:
- Being calm under pressure
- Ability to take and follow-through on instructions
- Being comfortable with acknowledging what they don’t know and taking the next step, which is to seek the proper channel to get that information.