#07: Don’t Be Scammed by Companies or Individuals Selling Fake Badges for Comic-Con 2018!
Several years ago, Comic-Con reached capacity limits at the San Diego Convention Center and we have had to limit the number of badges we can sell. High demand events like Comic-Con have tremendous fan interest, and sadly that also means tremendous scalper and ticket broker interest. It is devastating to spend your hard-earned money on a badge only to be turned away at the door because it’s counterfeit. While our RFID badges will discourage counterfeiting, it’s important to point out that counterfeit badge reproductions can look very, very convincing, making it difficult to distinguish between a real badge and a fake one.
To help you navigate the shark-filled waters of scalpers and scammers, we want to provide you with some information that could save you from falling for a fake.
1. Expo Logic is the only authorized badge vendor for Comic-Con 2018. Comic-Con does not supply badges to third party vendors or sell in a secondary market. We do not send “extra” badges to brokers, travel companies, or online auctions. Badges that appear on those sites, or any site that is not the official Comic-Con registration website, are being sold without Comic-Con’s consent and, in most cases, probably do not even exist.
2. Comic-Con monitors online sales platforms and actively pursues those attempting to scalp their badges on the secondary market. When we discover badges being sold on these sites, we void them immediately and disable the RFID card. You are placing yourself at risk by buying a badge or RFID card that can be cancelled at any time without your knowledge.
3. If you are picking up your badge onsite, you must present your photo ID. If someone is attempting to sell you a barcode confirmation with his or her name on it, you will not be able to exchange it for a badge when you arrive onsite. The name on the barcode confirmation must match your photo ID.
4. Comic-Con routinely performs spot checks for counterfeit badges and/or shared badges. Per our badge purchase Terms & Conditions: “SDCC may perform any of the following badge validation methods on entry to any area of the convention. These measures are an effort to prevent illegal badge duplication and unauthorized reselling. SDCC may perform any and all of the following badge authentication methods:
- scan the barcode
- require a photo ID that matches the name on the badge
- scan RFID embedded in the badge
- examine the badge with other technological and/or physical methods to verify authenticity of the badge and holder.
Before leaving any registration area, please make sure that the name on the badge matches your identification.”
5. We are seeing a huge increase in counterfeit badges being sold from international brokers. Please use extra caution when corresponding with anyone from an international ticket broker or online auction.
6. Comic-Con does not offer or sell any “VIP” badges. If someone is trying to sell you a VIP badge or a badge with special access and/or privileges, do not purchase it. They are fake, fake, fake!
7. Each year we find people trying to scam would-be badge buyers by asking them to send payment via MoneyGram or for the ticket buyer to guarantee the purchase by sending an advance deposit. Do not fall victim to this!
8. Comic-Con badges are non-transferable. If a seller claims they can transfer their badge to your name, they are being dishonest. This includes guest of professional badges. The deadline to change a professional guest registration has passed and no guest badges will be transferred.
9. Although badges were mailed in advance, our RFID technology allows us to remotely “disable” those badges per the attendee’s request. This means that a scalper could sell you a badge, and then contact Comic-Con to have it disabled and replaced. When you arrive with what is a legitimate Comic-Con badge, it will not work, and you will not be allowed entry.
If you are unable to attend Comic-Con 2018, please do not attempt to sell your badge online! Our goal is not to prohibit those who cannot attend from selling their badges to others, but to ensure that measures are in place to make it difficult for scalpers to purchase badges and sell them at extremely inflated rates, or even worse, sell fake badges at extremely inflated rates! We will continue to monitor the secondary market so that those with dubious intent are not scamming our fans.