Contracted Position Publications Editor
The Publications Editor is responsible for soliciting, collecting, overseeing, and implementing materials and information as it pertains to several publications for San Diego Comic Convention (SDCC).
Contractor will oversee the creation, execution, and delivery of publications, including layout/production, and is responsible for content for assigned publications. Consulting with SDCC, contractor will work with outside artists and vendors on covers and any internal content as well as production needs.
Reports to: Chief Communications and Strategy Officer
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In consultation with SDCC departments, coordinate the production, editing, designing, and delivery of
- Comic-Con Souvenir Book
- Comic-Con Events Guide
- Comic-Con Quick Guide
- WonderCon Program Book
- Insider, the digital newsletter of the Comic-Con Museum
Work with internal staff as well as external writers and artists to arrange for and provide content for the organization’s publications, both physical and digital.
Work with copy editors and proofreaders to finalize text for publications.
Coordinate with Ad Sales team to ensure ad spaces in the publications are correctly allocated and adhere to specifications.
In consultation with SDCC liaise with artists, writers, and industry professionals to solicit artwork, articles, and material for publications.
In consultation with the Eisner Awards administrator, create PowerPoint presentations for the annual Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards or other presentations as needed.
- High School Diploma (or GED)
- Graphic Design, Book/Magazine/Page Layout and Design, General Graphics Art (ad building etc.)
- History of practical print design, layout, and management
Hard “Technical” Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills (proficiency with MACs and PCs)
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Advanced skills in Adobe application suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, typography tools
- Writing/editing skills (print publications, blogs, web pages)
- Expert knowledge of the fundamentals of page layout, typography, and design principles
Soft “People” Skills
- Must have high attention to details
- Possess high degree of discretion, integrity, professionalism, and accountability
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written; ability to speak effectively and persuasively to groups and individuals. Ability to negotiate with vendors is a must.
Experience (number of prior years of experience and type)
- Direct report or interface with executive (C-level) positions or higher
- Knowledge of Comic-Con; knowledge of the history of comics and of the comics industry; and knowledge of other areas of popular arts and culture that are a part of Comic-Con (science fiction/fantasy, films/TV, gaming, cosplay, etc.)
On-site (Conventions): (physically demanding)
While this is a contracted position, some limited on-site work may be required when arranging and securing delivery of printed publications.
Inter-Relationships: Office and/or On-site
- Directly reports to the Chief Communications and Strategy Officer
- Interact with other department heads for materials and information
- Interact with designers, editors, and other member of production team
- Interact with printers and other vendors, including advertisers in publications
Are you our new friendly Neighborhood coworker?
Email us with the position you are applying for and include a PDF of your awesome resume.