Welcome to the first ever web-based version of Comic-Con Today. Each morning of Comic-Con@Home, we will post a new issue for your viewing pleasure.
Guide to Comic-Con@Home 2021
(Or Let’s Hope We Never Have to Go Two Years Without Comic-Con Ever Again)
Comic-Con@Home is now upon us. We know that for many Comic-Con fans, the Comic-Con Today newsletter takes a backseat to the Programs, Exhibit Hall, artists, costumes, and well almost everything at Comic-Con. Still, you must like us a little bit, because you’re here reading this. This guide offers a quick look at what’s going on at Comic-Con@Home. Let’s get started.
- The Exhibit Hall opened yesterday, just as it would on Preview Night during the in-person shows. This year, almost 500 exhibitors are featured, and enhanced search functions have been added to let you more precisely dial in what you’re looking for. Show the exhibitors some love, and buy something cool.
- Programming: This year we will feature over 250 programs over the course of @Home. Our first special program went live on Wednesday (see Toucan Tip below), and our Comics Conference for Educators and Librarians Series panels were added yesterday. At 10:00 am (PDT) today, the main programming panels begin, and more will be added every hour on the hour during normal convention hours throughout the weekend. New this year, select programs will include American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation via the Scener platform. Links to the Scener ASL interpretation are included in the panel descriptions. Today’s ASL offerings are:
- Dragon Ball Special Panel, 11 am–12 pm
- The Dragon Prince: Inside the Creative Process, 12 pm–1 pm
- Amazon Panel,1 pm–2 pm
- Netflix Geeked: Masters of the Universe: Revelation, 2 pm–3 pm
- Motherland: Fort Salem – A Look Into Season 2, 3 pm–4 pm
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part 2, 4 pm–5 pm
- Netflix Geeked: Fear Street Trilogy, 5 pm–6 pm
- Her Universe Fashion Show, 6 pm–7 pm
- Fan Activities galore: This year, the first-ever global Comic-Con@Home Book Club will be reading and discussing In Waves, by AJ Dungo (details below). Be sure to check out all of the cool fan activities, print at home signs and badges, anime-themed puzzles and games, and participate in our challenges:
- Cosplay Challenge
- Food As Art Challenge
- Create Your Own Hero Challenge
- Art For All Challenge
- Returning for another year is our ever-popular SuperVolunteer challenge
- ComiXology Presents the 2021 Comic-Con@Home Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards will be held as a virtual ceremony tonight from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm (PDT). In addition, the winner of the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award will be announced. More information is provided below.
- Last year, Games led the charge when the decision was made to hold the first Comic-Con@Home. This year, they’re back bigger and better than ever with events on Discord, Facebook Live, and YouTube. New this year, the MtG: Magic the Gathering (Magic Arena) tournament is offering $1000 in cash prizes (1st $450, 2nd $250, 3rd and 4th $100, 5th-8th $25, courtesy of Facebook). You know how your mom said that if you played games all the time, you’d never amount to anything? This is your big chance to prove her wrong.
- This year’s Art Show is powered by Eventeny. Check out great original art and prints, sculptures, jewelry, and more.
- Comic-Con’s Robert A. Heinlein Blood Drive returns for its 45th year with a 38-day blood drive for Comic-Con@home. Last year, San Diego Blood Bank’s largest and longest-running blood drive collected 8,872 pints of blood over our 26-day blood drive, our biggest year ever, and we look forward to breaking that record during this time of great need. The Blood Drive starts today and runs through August 29. Once again, appointments are required, and make sure to mention the Comic-Con group code: CCON.
- The Comic-Con@Home Virtual Portfolio Review returns with Industry Companies conducting virtual portfolio review sessions. Be sure to read the information and directions provided by each Company on how to submit your portfolio.
- Anime and Films Watch Parties return on Scener. Join Comic-Con@Home friends to watch and chat about great Anime and Film offerings. Long-time Comic-Con fans will remember when Friday used to be Star Wars Day. That returns today with screenings of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and Return of the Jedi. The Scener screenings require the following common streaming subscriptions to access the content:
- Amazon Prime
- HBO Max
- Museum@Home brings a new funbook for Comic-Con@Home, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. As we gear up toward opening, make sure to visit the Comic-Con Museum support page to make a tax deductible donation.
- The Comic-Con@Home Virtual Masquerade will once again be held on Saturday. Look for details tomorrow, and we’ll have results on Sunday as always.
- Last but not least, the Comic-Con@Home Merch store is stuffed to the gills with cool new and vintage products. Some limited items have already sold out, so try to shop early. Fun additions this year include Comic-Con logo sunglasses, flip flops, and cool new Ocean Style and Tie Dye shirts, as well as a Women’s Racerback Tank.
ComiXology Presents the 2021 @Home
Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards
The 33rd annual Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards are being held as a virtual ceremony tonight from 7:00 to 8:00 pm (PDT). The 2021 awards are sponsored by comiXology. This year’s virtual event is hosted by voice actor Phil LaMarr (Justice League, Futurama, and Samurai Jack), who is currently portraying Green Lantern in the comedy YouTube series Superhero Diaries.
Named for the pioneering comics creator and graphic novelist Will Eisner, the Eisner Awards are considered the “Oscars” of the comic book industry and will be awarded for works published in 2020. LaMarr will announce the nominees and winners in 32 categories, as well as the finalists and winner of the 2021 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award.
Cartoonist Sergio Aragonés (Groo, MAD) will present this year’s inductees to the Eisner Hall of Fame. In addition, Ruth Clampett will announce the recipients of the 2021 Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award. Eisner Awards Administrator Jackie Estrada will open and close the ceremony. Attendance to the online ceremony is free via Comic-Con@Home.
Comic-Con@Home Book Club
The first-ever Comic-Con@Home Book Club starts with the award-winning graphic novel, In Waves by AJ Dungo, a beautifully illustrated story about how we move through the world and the impact we have on others. Part autobiography and part history, In Waves (published by Nobrow) seamlessly weaves together the tale of his partner’s prolonged battle with cancer with the history of surfing.
There's still time to pick up or download a copy of In Waves from your favorite bookstore or check out the graphic novel from your local library. Best of all, you can join us for an exclusive Zoom Webinar with AJ Dungo during Comic-Con@Home. This intimate webinar will take place on Sunday, at 11:00 am (PDT). Fans may also have the opportunity to ask AJ questions about his graphic novel. There will be a capacity limit to the webinar, so please be sure to RSVP if you plan to attend. In the meantime, get on Twitter or Facebook and talk to fans from all over the world by using the #ComicConAtHomeBookClub hashtag.
Take an inside look at the highly anticipated upcoming film Snake Eyes: G.I Joe Origins. The exclusive presentation features special content and exclusive interviews from stars Henry Golding, Andrew Koji, Úrsula Corberó, Samara Weaving, Haruka Abe, Iko Uwais, Peter Mensah, and Takehiro Hira as well as the writer of the G.I. Joe comic books, the legend himself, Larry Hama! Mari Takahashi (@atomicmari) moderates the panel as the film’s main cast discuss bringing this incredible origin story to life.
Comic-Con Today is soliciting fan photographs. Submit photos of you and your friends and family exemplifying the best spirit of Comic-Con@Home here. A Google account is required. Please include a caption with submissions and the name of the photographer.
Do bear in mind that captions are subject to editing, and photos are subject to cropping.
We can't wait to see what you send us.
MISSION STATEMENT: The SAN DIEGO COMIC CONVENTION (Comic-Con International) is a California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation organized for charitable purposes and dedicated to creating the general public’s awareness of and appreciation for comics and related popular art forms, including participation in and support of public presentations, conventions, exhibits, museums and other public outreach activities which celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.
All content is the property of Comic-Con® International © 2021. Visit www.comic-con.org for more information.
Comic-Con® and the Comic-Con logo are registered trademarks of Comic-Con International.
Photographer credits as indicated. All photos © 2021 SDCC.
Editor-in-Chief – Chris Sturhann
Editor/Writer – Brian Norquist
Publication Designer – Daniel Tideman