CCI-IFF 2019 Rules
In 2019, the Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival (“CCI-IFF”) celebrates its fifteenth year as a juried event. The jury will consist of members working in industries related to filmmaking and the popular arts.
Please read the following carefully. Some rules have changed from previous years.
General Rules for Entry
1. Films submitted should be in one of the following categories:
- Documentary (limited to genre and pop culture topics)
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
2. All films must be appropriate for an all-ages audience. No nudity, excessive violence or swearing.
3. All films must be no longer than 95 minutes in length.
4. One submission per filmmaker. Films previously submitted to the CCI-IFF, whether accepted or denied, cannot be entered again. Films submitted must have a completion date no earlier than 2017. The submission must be accompanied by the official, signed, entry form. Four (4) copies of the submitted film must be sent OR you must submit a link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: There is no entry fee.
5. To be accepted, submitted films must be completely edited and in their final completed form. Rough cuts or unfinished material will not be considered. Please do not submit trailers, test footage or scenes from upcoming films. We do not accept web series.
6. It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to obtain, in writing, all necessary consents, licenses and clearances from any trademark, copyright or other proprietary interest holder (such as, but not limited to brands, music, characters, etc.) for content used in the submitted film. A copy of any such consents, licenses and clearances shall be included with the submission of the film. By submitting a film, filmmaker licenses CCI to screen and otherwise use the film as part of the CCI-IFF.
7. Films submitted cannot have distribution deals or distribution deals pending.
What to Send
• FOUR (4) copies of your film must be sent or you must submit a link to email@example.com. Films should be submitted via mail on DVD (NTSC ONLY, Region 1 compatible, NO PAL) to the address listed below. Please make sure your disc plays on other computers or DVD players, not just your own. Films submitted on DVD that do not play on our computers and/or DVD players will be rejected.
• Please include a brief synopsis of your film on a separate sheet of paper not to exceed 50 words, along with a brief bio sheet on filmmakers (director or writer) and one (1) production still for use in any potential publicity.
• All films must be postmarked by the deadline, FEBRUARY 1, 2019, and be accompanied by a signed submission form along with any paperwork as referred to in section 6. NO EXCEPTIONS. Films postmarked after the deadline will be rejected. Filmmakers with accepted entries will be notified by early June of selection. The complete schedule of films will appear on the Comic-Con International website, www.comic-con.org, and in our onsite Events Guide.
Send your 4 DVDs and supporting paperwork/material to:
Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival
P.O. Box 128458, San Diego, CA 92112-8458
All films will be shown via video projection in a Convention Center style meeting room, not in a theater. The room seats approximately 200 people. Preferred format for screening is DVD, NTSC, Region 1. We cannot accept 35mm films. If your film is selected, you may be able to provide a Blu-ray (of the same run-time of the originally submitted film) for the screening.
If your film is accepted, free 4-day professional memberships will be granted to those appearing to discuss the film (limit 3), plus one adult guest membership for each speaker. Children under 12 are admitted free with an adult membership.
All scheduling of accepted films is at the discretion of the Festival programmers. Please do not specify days or timeslots that you may prefer. Films will be shown during regular daytime hours of Comic-Con International and during nighttime programming hours.
Submitted films cannot be returned unless you provide a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope. Please send copies, not your original film.
Please e-mail any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
All entries must include a filled-out Entry Form.
By signing and submitting the CCI-IFF official rules and entry form, you hereby certify that:
(1) he/she is the creator and legal owner of the film;
(2) the film being submitted is in its completed and final form and will not be changed between now and the time it is shown at the Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival (CCI: IFF);
(3) all film content is either original or duly licensed by its respective owner for use in the submitted film;
(4) all necessary consents, licenses and clearances from any trademark, copyright or other proprietary interest holder for content used in the submitted film have been obtained and provided to CCI;
(5) the undersigned has read, understood and will comply with the rules relating to the CCI: IFF. The undersigned hereby indemnifies and agrees to defend CCI for and against any third-party claims relating to the submitted film.